Friday, June 24, 2005

Josh Marshall on Cunningscam

As usual, Josh Marshall has a great take on Duke's excuse-laden statement. He also raised a point about something that jumped out at me when I read it as well:

This is great. Duke has lived there for over a year. And he's paid $13,000 out of pocket. Yes, he says "well over". But by the looks of the document search he and his lawyers are doing it seems he's going to dig up the receipts for every roll of toilet paper and every bottle of windex he bought while he was there to pad the total.

When I lived in DC I lived in a medium to small-sized one bedroom apartment on 19th Street between R & S streets. That's in Dupont Circle.

DC housing isn't cheap. By the time I left last December I think my rent was $1468 a month. So with the help of my trusty calculator I can figure out that I was paying $17,616 in rent a year. So I was paying substantially more to live in my little one bedroom apartment than Duke was to live on Wade Mitchell's yacht down on the river.

Also read this note on the subject of Duke's most recent house purchase. Turns out that the person he bought from is also a campaign contributor, Douglas Powanda from Peregrine Systems, who just happens to be accused of securities fraud. Did Duke get a sweetheart deal from this guy, too?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home