Friday, June 17, 2005

See below, re: Destroying America...

And not moments after scribing the bit about conservatives trying to destroy our American institutions, I find the following in my mailbox:

Right-wingers are taking over the board of the Corporation for Public Broadcasting (CPB), the agency intended to provide a buffer between independent public broadcast networks and the partisan government. And they are working overtime to put a conservative slant on programming, a move that completely undermines the non-interference mandate of the 1967 Public Broadcasting Act. This week right-wingers in the House voted to cut all federal funding for public broadcasting within the next two years. Unless the public demands respect for independent and public broadcasting, soon nobody will be able to tell you how to get to Sesame Street. Write Congress and demand that they save PBS from partisan operatives.

All you soccer-moms and dads out there better get moving, because it won't be long before one of the few remaining "safe" educational television stations out there goes away for good. I remember PBS as one of the few tv stations that my mother said I could watch whenever I wanted... And I did, I watched "Sesame Street", and "Electric Company" and "3-2-1 Contact". But unless parents start expressing their outrage about these theocrats destroying public broadcasting, future generations won't have the same opportunities to watch educational, commercial-free programming.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home